- About Us
- Strategic Focus
- Upham's Corner ArtPlace
- Dudley Neighbors Inc.
- Housing on Land Trust
- Open Space Projects
- Commercial Property and Partnerships
- Leaseholder Info
- Boston Promise Initiative
- News & Events
- Support Us
Jobs and Internships
Current Job Listing:
Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative (DSNI) is a twenty-nine year-old resident-led, non-profit planning and organizing entity in the Roxbury/North Dorchester area of Boston. DSNI’s mission is to empower Dudley residents to organize, plan for, create, and control a vibrant, diverse and high quality neighborhood in collaboration with community partners. In order to realize the neighborhood’s vision of a vibrant urban village, DSNI has organized to make significant strides in the areas of land control, affordable housing, community facilities, urban agriculture, youth development, and community building. Progress in our neighborhood is the result of robust collaborative efforts led by community residents.
DSNI is convening a unique process with a US Department of Education Promise Neighborhoods grant. Our local effort, Boston Promise Initiative, has brought together community, public, and city-wide entities to plan a total community effort to provide all Dudley children from 0 to age 24 with access to high quality education and family / community supports to succeed. All staff will be involved in its planning and implementation.
General Support of DSNI's Mission
As a member of the DSNI staff, the Controller will work as a team member to strengthen the financial, accounting and reporting systems that support the neighborhood revitalization work. S/he will work with staff, residents, committee and Board members to unfold planning and organizing efforts to realize the neighborhood’s vision of a vibrant urban village. All DSNI staff members will play a role in community organizing and planning including:
· Work with committees and staff as part of DSNI’s overall organizing efforts to build our urban village including the Open House, Annual Meeting, Multi-Cultural Festival, and organization-wide / community-wide campaigns
· Prepare regular reports on activities, including the monthly report to the Board; and
· Maximize opportunities for professional growth.
The position will be a permanent position, within the Management team at DSNI. The Controller will work closely with other DSNI staff, Board, resident leaders and partner organizations.
Reporting to the chief financial officer (CFO), the Controller will be responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and internal policies and procedures. The Controller will be involved in supporting presentations to the board, finance and audit committees and will work closely with the CFO consultant and the senior leadership team.
The Controller will lead all day-to-day finance operations of a budget of $3 million and supervise the general ledger bookkeeper who is responsible for accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and record-keeping. The Controller will ensure that Dudley Street Neighborhood (DSNI) maintains and improves, where necessary, systems and procedures to support effective program implementation, accurate monthly reporting to the board and its committees, and ensure efficient audits. The Controller will work closely with program leaders and their staffs, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures, but also to explore how the finance function can support program operations and planning.
In addition, s/he will partner with the CFO consultant, senior leadership, and the human resources (HR) and information technology (IT) staff to enhance and better integrate finance, HR, and IT functions.
Finance and Accounting Leadership Responsibilities:
· Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements;
· Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures;
· Leverage strengths of the general ledger bookkeeper, help to clarify roles and responsibilities and develop and implement training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals;
· Coordinate all audit activity;
· Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of DSNI’s financial status;
· Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; collate financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants;
· Assist DSNI’s leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate;
· Manage organizational cash flow forecasting by working in partnership with the program leadership team; continuously collaborate with program directors to assess the financial efficacy of program operations and establish finance and administrative systems to support program operations;
· Support the CFO consultant in engaging the board’s audit and Finance Committees around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery; and
· Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for a mature leader with seven to ten years of accounting and finance experience, ideally beginning in accounting and audit, followed by experience gathering, evaluating, presenting and reporting financial information to executive teams and external stakeholders. S/he will ideally have experience in a complex nonprofit that has multiple programs and funding sources. Other qualifications include:
· Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to DSNI’s mission; a proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who will own, in partnership with the CFO consultant, the responsibility for accounting and finance;
· Minimum of a BA; MBA/CPA preferred;
· Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, and payroll;
· A track record in grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting of government, corporate and foundation grants is essential;
· Strong knowledge of technology;
· Commitment to mentoring and training;
· Keen analytic ability and problem solving skills which allow for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting;
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, board or other outside partners;
· Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers; and
· A strong background in nonprofit GAAP and OMB Circulars.
Salary range for this position is $53,000 - $75,000 annually, depending on experience. DSNI offers a comprehensive benefits package. To be considered, interested applicants must submit a cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com with “Controller” in the subject line. No telephone inquiries or recruiters please. DSNI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative (DSNI) is a non-profit planning and organizing group celebrating over 27 years as a successful, resident-led coalition working to create an urban village in the Dudley neighborhood of Roxbury/North Dorchester. DSNI’s mission is to empower Dudley residents to organize, plan for, create and control a vibrant, diverse and high-quality neighborhood in collaboration with community partners.
The Community Organizer will work as a team member to strengthen the neighborhood revitalization work. They will work with staff, residents, committee and Board members to unfold planning and organizing efforts to realize the neighborhood’s vision of a vibrant urban village.
• Work with DSNI Organizers to carry out organizing and planning activities. This includes door knocking, passing out flyers and talking to residents.
• Organize residents and other stakeholders to actively engage in the neighborhood revitalization effort, using door knocking, phoning, neighborhood meetings, and other outreach methods.
• Communicate regularly with residents and others stakeholders through written materials and personal contact
• Work as part of DSNI’s overall organizing efforts to Build Our Urban Village
• Attend meetings representing DSNI.
• Investigate, evaluate, and share various tools and models for outreach, organizing and collaboration.
• Prepare regular reports and articles on activities.
• Commitment to DSNI’s mission and organizing principles
• Respect for resident decision-making and community planning
• Ability to take initiative while working well as part of a team
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work long hours and be flexible
• Familiarity with neighborhood issues
• Ability to work in a multicultural setting
• A sense of humor always helps
For more information contact:
Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative, 504 Dudley Street, Roxbury, MA 02119.
Women and People of Color Encouraged To Apply. Equal Opportunity Employer.
***TITLE SEARCHER (UNPAID INTERNSHIP)***
Dudley Neighbors Inc. (DNI) is a Community Land Trust in the Roxbury and North Dorchester area of Boston, organized as an Urban Redevelopment Organization under MGL Chapter 121A. DNI’s Mission is Is to implement the community revitalization plans of the Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative (DSNI), which espouses development without displacement and includes affordable housing, economic development, open space and other amenities of the Urban Village.
To search public and private records to compile a list of documents pertaining to property titles, such as mortgages, deeds, and assessments. To create a reference system of all deeds of land that DNI and it affiliates own.
- Searches records available at DNI, City of Boston Assessing Department and or Suffolk Registry of Deeds to compile all legal deeds for parcels owned by DNI & its affiliates.
- If required, obtains maps or drawings of property from surveyor or assessor's office or from title companies.
- Prepares reference system and report with information compiled that would be useful for future work reference.
- Ability to take initiative while working independently and as part of a team
- Have working knowledge on how to title search using City of Boston Assessing Department and Suffolk Registry of Deeds.
- A sense of humor always helps
- Word processing and other computer experience (Microsoft word, excel, Adobe Acrobat).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills a must.
- Must be organized and attentive to detail.
Position Type: Unpaid Internship
Please reply with letter of interest and resume immediately to: Jason Webb, Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative, 504 Dudley Street, Roxbury, MA 02119 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Women and People of Color Encouraged to Apply. Equal Opportunity Employer.